Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Olympic toilet question, answered

Betsy finds enough of a reason not to go to the Olympics: squat toilets:
"Most of the Chinese people are used to the squat toilet, but nowadays more and more people demand sit-down toilets," Yao said. "However, it will take some time for this transition."
This is what the toilet in the new bathroom looks like here at casa de Fausta:

Here's what a squat toilet looks like:


In my travels in Europe I encountered squat toilets and still recall the experience with great dislike. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

The question is, how does one use a squat toilet?

Family travel explains how, and they include a diagram:


That said, always remember to bring your own baby wipes, toilet paper and hand sanitizer in your travels, even if you're not going to China for the Olympics.

Digg!

Share on Facebook

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

This could induce me to stay in North America....

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never used one, but I have walked out of a few places were they were the only option. I can't figure out what you do with your clothes. Think pantyhose down, skirt up, and balance or slacks down far enough to allow you to spread your legs. The footrests on the ones I saw were pretty far apart. I guess a Scotsman might have the right garb, but I've only seen then in southwest France, which is not known for its kilts.

expat

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the diagram. These places always leave you guessing.

When I was in Thailand and Malaysia, I always carried packs of tissues and hand sanitizers. And they do still have the squat toilets in Europe. They had one in a nice old bookstore in France. My kids were horrified.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home