Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chomping at the bit: Obama's war crimes trials, and Bush impeachment

The Dems can't wait until January next year to start the huntdown:

Dennis Kucinich has presented articles of impeachment against President George W. Bush to Congress:
The first article Kucinich presented, and many that followed, regarded the war in Iraq: "Article 1 - Creating a secret propaganda campaign to manufacture a false case for war against Iraq."
Too bad Kucinich can't read the WaPo. Robert Stacy McCain calls the impeachment move Barack's nightmare; maybe so, but only because of its timing. The Dems will be going to it in the Obamatopia
What I would want to do is to have my Justice Department and my Attorney General immediately review the information that's already there and to find out are there inquiries that need to be pursued. I can't prejudge that because we don't have access to all the material right now. I think that you are right, if crimes have been committed, they should be investigated. You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve.

So this is an area where I would want to exercise judgment -- I would want to find out directly from my Attorney General -- having pursued, having looked at what's out there right now -- are there possibilities of genuine crimes as opposed to really bad policies. And I think it's important-- one of the things we've got to figure out in our political culture generally is distinguishing betyween really dumb policies and policies that rise to the level of criminal activity. You know, I often get questions about impeachment at town hall meetings and I've said that is not something I think would be fruitful to pursue because I think that impeachment is something that should be reserved for exceptional circumstances. Now, if I found out that there were high officials who knowingly, consciously broke existing laws, engaged in coverups of those crimes with knowledge forefront, then I think a basic principle of our Constitution is nobody above the law -- and I think that's roughly how I would look at it.
Maybe Robert correct in saying that Kucinich has put Obama in a difficult situation with Kucinich's bringing up articles of impeachment in Congress at this moment. However, when it comes to the persecuting on war crimes, both Rick Moran and Thomas Lifson noticed,
To me the terribly frightening phrase is the wish to avoid a "partisan witch hunt." When a Harvard-trained lawyer inserts a qualifier into a phrase, that is a signal of wiggle room being created.
Doug Ross has the screen shot of the Obama campaign page where they state their plan to "hold accountable any perpetrators of war crimes" in Iraq. Al-Qaeda, perhaps? Or, more likely, American troops?

Jay wants to see the media ask Obama some tough questions. That'll be a first. The media's too busy putting a halo on the guy.

We'll find out after Obama disarms America, that is.


They're chomping at the bit.

UPDATE
Obama, Jews & Newsweek: the MSNBC of mags. Read every word, check out every link (h/t Larwyn).

Digg!

Share on Facebook

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home