Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spitzer resigns

Here's the full text of the speech:
In the past few days I have begun to atone for my private failings
Only because you got caught, Eliot.
with my wife, Silda, my children, and my entire family.
If he had any honor at all he would NEVER mention them at all. If he was a man, he would have actually sent them out of the country to spare them all this humiliation.
The remorse I feel will always be with me. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for the love and compassion they have shown me. From those to whom much is given, much is expected. I have been given much: the love of my family, the faith and trust of the people of New York, and the chance to lead this state. I am deeply sorry that I did not live up to what was expected of me. To every New Yorker, and to all those who believed in what I tried to stand for, I sincerely apologize.
It's all about Eliot, Eliot and more Eliot: eleven "my", "me" and "I".
I look at my time as governor with a sense of what might have been, but I also know that as a public servant I, and the remarkable people with whom I worked, have accomplished a great deal. There is much more to be done, and I cannot allow my private failings to disrupt the people's work.
Translation: I'm setting up my comeback as we speak".
Over the course of my public life, I have insisted, I believe correctly, that people, regardless of their position or power, take responsibility for their conduct. I can and will ask no less of myself. For this reason, I am resigning from the office of governor. At Lt. Gov. Paterson's request, the resignation will be effective Monday, March 17, a date that he believes will permit an orderly transition.
Here you go: the start of the comeback tour is now official.

Then he did a little motivational speak to warm them up to the idea:
I go forward with the belief, as others have said, that as human beings, our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. As I leave public life, I will first do what I need to do to help and heal myself and my family. Then I will try once again, outside of politics, to serve the common good and to move toward the ideals and solutions which I believe can build a future of hope and opportunity for us and for our children.
Translation: Give it a couple of months, a carefully coreographed appearance with the Mrs on Oprah, a profitable book deal, and I'll be back "for the children" and "the common good".

And good luck to the guy who's left holding the bag,
I hope all of New York will join my prayers for my friend, David Paterson, as he embarks on his new mission, and I thank the public once again for the privilege of service.
As Siggy would say, "what a sanctimonious ass".

Digg!

Share on Facebook

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

..."what a sanctimonious ass"

Y'know, I was going to think of some witty, yet trenchant comment, but your quote above just nails it.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Dymphna said...

How about sanctimonious, narcissistic ass?

From all of many writing classes taken over the years, the most memorable one was the strange assignment to write a chatty letter everyday (to a different person). The only stipulation was that the first person pronoun couldn't be used *at all* in any of the letters.

You'd be surprised at what a month of such practice does to the person who performs it. Having to take such care not to intrude the self into three or four paragraphs was grueling at first. As it became easier, so did listening to others.

The (fomerly)honorable Guvnuh could use that experience. On the other hand, if he could do it, he wouldn't be in politics, would he?

In fact, if the judge had the wisdom to assign such a task to Spitzer while he rots in jail, it might do wonders for his humility. Or maybe not.

As you've probably noticed, this comment was done with the same proviso as that writing assignment so many years ago.

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to why Siggy and Dymphna are being so reticent? ;-)

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Mr. Bingley said...

...I will first do what I need to do to help and heal myself and my family.

Like getting your wife an appointment to be checked for STDs and HIV that you might have given her thanks to your whoring around?

Pig.

Scum.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Fausta said...

Mr. Bingley, That was my first thought upon reading that Spitzer was engaging in unprotected sex.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger test said...

Sex is a natural thing that everyone, whether they admit it or not like. Maybe Eliot and his wife should join LoveVoodoo.com

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger newton said...

The soon-to-be-ex Mrs. Spitzer should take him to the (legal) cleaners for ALL of his worth - especially for the reason Mr. Bingley stated above. His daughters may disavow him, and rightly so.

By the time her lawyers and the Feds' are finished with him, he should do the right thing... and sell bait at a fishing pier in some forgotten beach spot for the rest of his life.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Obi's Sister said...

She does look highly pissed, doesn't she?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home