Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

And the survey says...

Last night I was sitting in the family room reading St. Augustine for the class I'm auditing and enjoying a glass of wine, nearly dozing off (Augustine's not quite the kind of reading I find exciting), when the phone rang.

It was the folks from the Fairleigh Dickinson University public opinion research center.

Imagine my surprise.

I've been eligible to vote for decades and this is the very first time any of the many surveys has called. I perked up and, seeing a blog post in the making, answered the many questions the lady asked.

First of all, it's amazing that people actually answer. The survey comprised a few dozen questions and took close to an hour. I really was looking for an excuse to not read St. Auggie.

Then there were the questions: everything from Iraq and foreign policy, to Hillary and the Democrats, President Bush's approval, New Jersey politics and tolls, and stem cell research. No stone was left unturned.

The questions were asked by a nice lady, not by a machine. A couple of years ago I got an automated "survey" and hung up immediately, not bothering to find out who had the brilliant idea to want my opinion without bothering with human courtesy and contact.

Unfortunately the lady asking the questions also offered unwanted feedback.

At one point the conversation went like,
"Is progress being made in Iraq?"
I answered, "Very definitely, yes."
"It is?"
"Oh, yes."
"Are you sure?"
"Most definitely. I've been talking to people who are actually in Iraq right now."

It's a good thing I passed Assertiveness Training class with flying colors.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Carlos E. Hös said...

Fausta:Traté de enviarte un email pero parece que existe un error en la dirección que aparece en tu sitio.
Por otro lado,good job.
Carlos, desde Argentina.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

Carlos, faustaw "at" yahoo "dot" com
Gracias

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well if this is actually how the conversation went, you should have asked for her name and her immediate superior's name as well.

She should be reported and disciplinary actions taken. I suggest that it is not at all too late to follow up.

You must be on a particular call listing which would indicate who precisely placed the call.

This abuse of statistical analysis is not a 'small thing'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home