Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Tonight, you couldn't get there from here

After 36 hours of torrential rain and high winds, we've had substantial flooding unlike any I've seen in 18 years of living in Princeton. Not even when Hurricane Floyd went through the area has there been as much flooding.

After spending the morning drying my basement, I thought I'd go check out what the evening commute was looking like in the area near my house. The governor had declared a state of emergency this morning so traffic was much lighter than usual.

The parking lot at church at the corner of River Road and Route 27 (Princeton-Kingston Rd) was flooded, except for a small section where a few cars were able to park:

Carnegie Lake (the scenic lake shown during the titles of House) overflowed its banks:

The first floor of the house in Kingston which I believe was formerly a mill at the end of Carnegie Lake is totally flooded:


This canoe and its dock (the black triangle in the center of the photo) were carried all the way here and are now stuck in front of the patio doors. Whoever tied the canoe knows what they're doing: the knot held.

Normally these steps go down to a small stone bridge from which you can walk from Route 27 to the Canal:

This is what the stone bridge looks like right now:


The Millstone River, the Raritan and Delaware Canal and Carnegie Lake overflowed to the point where they are one torrent:

Route 27 is closed because the bridge to Kingston is under water:



I then headed to Route 1 via Harrison Street. Harrison Street is closed from the corner of Faculty Road all the way to Route 1. [Note, Tues April 12: The Harrison St bridge over the lake was dry; the problem is the area between the bridge and Rte 1, which routinely floods]. Harrison Street traffic heading out of town was being detoured to Washington Road. It wasn't moving.


Last night the wind was howling so loud it kept waking me up; when I headed to Starbucks this morning we had hail; this afternoon, snow flurries. We're expected to have more rain for the next 24 hours.

Tonight I'll follow my advice, have some sugar-free hot chocolate, light up the fireplace, and watch 24.

Update: Meanwhile, in New Hampshire...

Digg!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Raven said...

Looks like my state -NH.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Greta Perry said...

It doesn't seem real Fausta. Bummer about the basement.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Beth said...

WOW, Fausta--I didn't realize things were that bad there! I knew y'all were getting a Nor'easter, but I didn't know there was all that flooding going on (in NH too)!
I thought it was just some snow, but not bad enough to be mentioned on teh teevee since I hadn't heard much.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger joated said...

Jeez, I wonder what Johnson Park up in New Brunswick (where that "other" school lies On the Banks Of the Raritan)looks like. The Raritan Canal runs there too.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

A friend mentioned that parts of New Brunswick were evacuated.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Obi's Sister said...

That reminds me of when hurricane Alberto blew through and flooded SW Georgia back in 1994. Ruined beautiful lakes & streams, washed out entire towns. The worse part was that it washed out graves...coffins were floating down newly made rivers, forming log jams under the underpasses. It was horrible. In the months to come, investigations showed that the graves weren't dug deep enough, the coffins weren't sealed correctly, the bodies weren't tagged, on and on and on. Water had to be boilded for months. There are still places that haven't recovered.

Stay safe and dry!

P.S. Great minds think alike - I really dig those shoes you linked to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home