Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Anything to avoid homework: Lileks, 24, and shoes

I've been auditing a class on heroic literature, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the current reading, The Saga of Grettir the Strong. A lot of it has to do with the characters' names, for instance,
There was a man named Onund. He was the son of Ofeig Hobbler, whose father was Ivar Horse-Cock.
I can only imagine what Ivar the little Viking had to put up with when he was in grade school. Obviously he didn't pass his condition to his progeny.*

While I was avoiding reading up on homework, I came across this: Maintain a firm grip on the book at all times, and use your pectoral muscles to keep firm inward pressure on the book. If I ever do that, Janet-my-personal-trainer will probably recruit me to work at the gym.

No, I haven't gone back for aerobic yoga, thanks.

As I mentioned in my first Blog Talk Radio podcast, I love Lileks's writing, and today he's in fine shape, managing to come up with a McCoy Freakout Scale, a creepy shoe poster about Foot Health, and 24.

Lileks is Da Man.

This season of 24 has a couple of things that have me distracted: I keep waiting for Vice-President Tolliver to break into profanity. The Whispering President's whispering is annoying; it's a nuclear crisis, for Pete's sake, raise your voice! And I wish they'd have more of the crazy First Lady - set her loose and sic her to the terrorists. They'd saw off their other arms just to get away from her.

I've been a loyal 24 fan for three years now, but this season's not as fun as the others. After pondering the reason why, I finally realized,
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JACK.
Milo sure looks good, but there's only one Jack.

Anyway, on the subject of shoes, The Husband will tell you I'm big on shoes. While I was at CPAC I decided that I needed a pair of walking shoes that feel like sneakers but look dressy enough to wear with skirts. They'd have to have a lot of cushioning, feel comfortable, and have some sort of ankle strap so the shoes don't flop around because of my narrow heels.
This afternoon I found them at Ricchard's downtown,

If you are considering them, try the next half size up from your usual.

I know, Hush Puppies are for little old ladies, and mary janes aren't really my style, but I can walk all day in these.

I got them in black. They go well with my pocketbook.

Now I better go finish reading up what William Morris had to say about Grittir.
(*) The Morris translation starts with,
There was a man named Onund, who was the son of Ufeigh Clubfoot, the son of Ivar the Smiter
Oh, those Victorians...

Digg!
Technorati tags: shoes, 24, William Morris

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Obi's Sister said...

Perhaps you could write a limerick using this impossible Nordic Names for your class?

There once was a man from Nantucket...

hee.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Obi's Sister said...

And Yes, I too, noticed the lesser amount of face time I got with Jack this week.

Maybe that's why I want to blow up this program I'm coding... or at least TRYING to code.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home