Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

A few post-CPAC observations

I really liked Giuliani's speech but my favorite speaker was John Bolton. I even managed to say hello to him on my way out. Great guy.
(No, I didn't ask, "Got milk?")
Update, Sunday 4 March Pamela has the speech.

In case I didn't make myself clear enough yesterday, I loathe Ann Coulter. This kind of stuff is why. Since the exhibit hall where the bloggers were located was filled with people and noise I first thought I had misheard, but James Joyner clarified that I had heard it correctly.

Joyner tried to get Romney to say something other than the usual boilerplate, and all he got was a rounding error.

Anyone who thinks self-tanners make you look tan should face reality and learn that orange is not tan.

Until I went to CPAC I didn't know that the NRA has a radio show on Sirius.

Romney has over-coiffed hair. A little less perfect would look a lot better. Overgroomed men are a turn-off.

Brownback and Romney's adherents were too much. Fighting a gauntlet on the way to the ladies' room does not, I repeat, does not endear people to your candidate, guys. Chanting "Brownback, BROWNBACK" in closed quarters is just plain obnoxious. Shouting matches are beyond the pale.

Friday in the early evening we went for happy hour at Mediterra courtesy of Patrick Hynes of Ankle Biting Pundits.

The turnout was great (sixty bloggers or so), and Rob was enjoying himself:

I'm not sure what happened here but I believe Joyner and Atilla were talking about how Hillary makes rude noises:

Later that evening Rob Bluey and others went on to a party at Richard Miniter's house. Richard's a great guy but by 7:30PM all I wanted to do was take a hot shower, order a burger from room service, and watch The Departed on TV in a little peace and quiet.

Which is exactly what I did.

Speaking of The Departed, what ever happened to the 1 1/2hour movie? The Departed was 151 very gruesome minutes.

This was the first time I've attended a convention as a blogger. Next time I'll have a much better idea of how to approach the demands on time and the logistics.

The wire connections at the blogger's table were iffy at best. The tech guy ended up connecting my laptop to the wire with duct tape.

I dragged home 60 lbs of luggage this morning. If I knew on Thursday what I know now, I would have not brought any daytime dress shoes, which I put aside in favor of these, which I only packed at the last moment.

I wasn't the only one ditching the dress shoes.

The amoung of stuff one gets at CPAC is enormous. On the way to the ladies' room a Romney volunteer asked me if I wanted a foam mitt, which I politely declined, TWICE, since he woudln't take no for an answer ("it goes with your dress", he said, yet I didn't throttle him).

I threw away easily a hundred pages of paper, a tote bag and a dozen magazines, and still managed to keep:
4 books
6 magazines
1 chapstick
a plush puppy from PETA Kills Animals
3 CDs
3 copies of Humberto Fontova's article on Che Guevara, which I'm sending to people
1 tote bag (the only way to carry the stuff home)
2 Townhall.com baseball caps for the guys at home
2 mouse pads (not sure how I managed to keep both)
several pens
100 or so business cards
a Victory Caucus pin N.Z.Bear insisted I wear
and a Sam Adams bobble head toy, since the Sam Adams Alliance didn't serve beer.

Yes, you can take it with you.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger Richard said...

I wish that we had had beer, too, but alas, we didn't want to upset CPAC because we want to come back next year. I am glad, though, that you're enjoying your Sam bobblehead!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Fausta said...

Little Sam's standing next to my laptop right now, Richard.
Thanks!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

About Ann Coulter....Is it my imagination or has she gotten very shrill the past few years? As I recall, she used to be a lot easier to take--and a lot more effective.

I still read her columns from time to time, and I've read with enjoyment several of her books. But I think that she's doing the Right some harm these days.

Several bloggers are posting on CPAC. Wish that I'd had time to attend.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Ken Adams said...

One little detail you haven't shared yet Fausta -- train, plane, or automobile?

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Fausta said...

Always, I just did a post on Coulter.

Ken, The Husband dropped me off at Princeton Jct, from there I took NJ transit to Trenton & then I took the Amtrak train from Trenton to DC. It's only 2 1/2 hrs and I don't know my way around DC at all, so it takes less time than driving and I didn't have to deal with traffic.
I was in DC in a little over three hours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home