Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dentate gyrus yoga

Study shows why exercise boosts brainpower, so if that's true, Tom McGuire and I will be brainier than ever:
Tests on mice showed they grew new brain cells in a brain region called the dentate gyrus, a part of the hippocampus that is known to be affected in the age-related memory decline that begins around age 30 for most humans.
Our dentate gyri must be gyrating.

Yesterday I went to the 9:30 AM yoga class. I hadn't been to a yoga class in nearly ten years, since the time a nice Indian lady nearly killed me while trying to make me stand on my head.

I went because Janet-my-personal-trainer and a few other people had said that the instructor was great. What they didn't tell me was that he does a great class of aerobic yoga. After a full hour of vigorous yet-not-quite-enjoyable contorting into a pulse-racing state, my sweat and I were lying on the mat (thank G-d I used a regular padded mat instead of a thin yoga mat or I'd be bruised, too) "relaxing" in the dark. The instructor tells us to "empty all thoughts from your mind" but the only thought in my mind was, "My *ss is grass".

However, about an hour after the class was done, I felt Well. I mean Well in the Gagdad Bob-kind of Well.

So the question is, Is it worth having to take 2 4 Tylenol today, or should I just stick to regular gym stuff and Pilates? (I do like Pilates a lot)

I'll ponder this and other cosmic questions while I research a post on an article Feisty sent yesterday.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger SC&A said...

I wanted to feel Gagdad smart.

The treadmill, stair climber and bar bells wore out, and still nothin.'

That boy is serious smart.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Jeremayakovka said...

Ah! mon amie, it brings me such joy to see a lady I respect (qua lady) dish out a little locker room banter. To dish it out, just so -- what diction! what calculation! what poise!

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

SC&A, you're plenty smart to start, and after all that work your legs probably look lovely.

JMK, glad to bring you joy.
Poise is not the word that would best describe my disheveled state during class, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Gagdad is serious-smart, so I emailed him asking for yoga advice.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Jeremayakovka said...

True confession: I sweat buckets every time I exercise. Wring out the shirt everytime. So what?

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

Apparently there's a type of yoga that you do in rooms heated to 95-100F.
Sweat wouldn't begin to describe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home