Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Should tall women wear platform shoes, and other cosmic questions

Woman doesn't live by thinking all the time about tiresome matters concerning corrupt Frenchmen, tinpot dictators with lunatic little friends, and scuzzy opportunists; woman needs to think about shoes, too.

So I was visiting The Manolo, who was posting about a beautiful pair of $600 shoes (!),
The woman who would wear these to the office would not only stand out for her fashion sense, but would also tower regally above the petty distractions and inconveniences of her work day, which is exactly the point the Miss Meghan was making about the pleasures of the platform
and I commented
Alas, the Fausta, at 5'10" might tower above it all so much that she might bump into the doorjambs!
(Trust me, it happened in the 1970s)

The response from other Manolo readers was favorable (not to the bumping into the doorjambs, but to the concept of tall women in platforms):
Fausta, don't be afraid of platforms! I'm just as tall as you are, and I bought a fab pair of four-inch-heel, ankle-strap Stuart Weitzman platforms yesterday (alas not available at online stores). Trying them on, I felt like a goddess. In fact, it's we tall women who can make platforms work, because our towering frames are in proportion with the thick soles. Short women in platforms tend to look as though they're wearing elevator shoes.
Since spending $600 on a pair of shoes is ENTIRELY OUT OF THE QUESTION, I think I'll try these instead:

What do you think, dear readers? Do tall women look good in platform shoes?

I must clarify that The Husband is much taller than I so that's not an issue.

Which brings me to the next cosmic question: Are men more intelligent than women? Or is it a matter of being taller? If so, do platform shoes enter in the picture?

This blog will now resume its usual fare.

Update
The Anchoress writes,
As I would have commented on your blog, had I been able to get the damn thing to work (blogger must be having trouble...)

I am almost 5'2"

Even with those platforms, I am still short.

I hate you. Very much.

:-)

Those are nice shoes you cited, though. I'd get them!
Merri also wrote,
I couldn't get your comments to work (whahh!!!!), but this is what I typed:

As a 5'0" woman, I love shoes that give me a little height so I can reach the shelves (ha!). But honestly, I think if the woman loves the shoes, the shoes usually love the woman. ;-)

For me it is all about style - what I like and whether it goes with the clothes I own. Heels or platforms can also change the shape of your leg, so for me, I like that benefit as well.

I suppose for a taller woman, there may be other considerations. My mom was 4" taller than my dad (she was 5'11") and I never saw her in anything other than flats. When I asked her, while I'm certain it really had something to do with being considerate of my dad, she jokingly said it would be too much of a distraction for Dad if she was another 3-4" taller. After a moment, I got what she was saying. Heh.
PS, I bought the Aerosoles.

(technorati tags , , , , )

9 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger SC&A said...

While I will not opine on whether or not men are smarter than women or not. I will note that I have yet to run across a blog written by a man that discusses $600.00 platform shoes, height or associating 'feeling like a godess' with footwear.

Just an observation.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

Spoken as a very intelligent man, indeed, SC&A!

(and may I say that the godess thing is a little "too much" even for me)

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Francis W. Porretto said...

Tall women look good in anything, dear. More generally, there are very few women whose posture and overall appeal are harmed by high heels, whether platformed or the "traditional" kind.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

well, I'm only 5'3", but tall shoes are not an option for me because of my RA. However, if I could wear platforms I would, and being tall wouldn't stop me.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Beth said...

SHOULD a tall woman wear platforms? Heck, I don't think anyone, short or tall, should wear platforms over the age of 30. If it were completely up to me, nobody would wear 'em. I think platform shoes are *awful* looking. I wouldn't even buy those $600 ones, if it were an option (although they are far better looking than the majority of platforms).
But I guess I'd say, wear what you want. If it makes you feel weird, then don't.
(Disclaimer: I'm 5'2", and I'd wear high heels every day if I could!)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Sure, tall women can wear platform shoes. I tend to agree with the other Beth who said that women over 30 should probably not wear them, and should opt for a more... shall we say "mature" look. As for me, personally, I'd love to be able to wear heels, but a chronic bad back makes that... difficult.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Fausta said...

at 6'4" and having lived in two basement apartments
Back in the olden days The Husband & I were looking for an apartment and I called one that was in a really nice area but advertised in the classifieds for what seemed to be a really low rent.

The lady who answered the phone described the place in glowing terms, asked me a few questions, and when I asked for an appointment, asked, "How tall are you?"
"5'10", and my husband's taller than I"
"Oh". [pause] "I don't think you're going to like it. The ceilings are only 5'8".

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Fausta said...

I do wear heels (2" - 3") regularly as long as I don't have to be doing a lot of walking and the shoe has a flexible sole. The Aerosoles style I link to in the post has a look of a platform but not a true thick platform. I've worn them already and they're nice.

IMO, nothing beats a nice high heel for showing off the legs at any age.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everybody,

Can somebody suggest me a better online shopping website where I can purchase casual & dress shoes for men, women, and kids at reasonable prices. However, I searched the web and find the resources i.e.

http://www.topestore.com

http://www.latest-beauty-tips.com

http://www.safeshoppe.com

where the prices are compartively low.
Please suggest if you have some other better resources.

Dazy Smith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home