Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

I want my MTV filibuster!
Democrats are threatening a "filibuster" over nominees to judicial posts. By "filibuster" they basically imply shutting down the Senate. I for one don't worry much about when government offices are shut down, since every bureaucrat, deep in his/her heart loves a holiday and who are we not to oblige, but shutting down the Senate's the easy road.

Wimps.

What I want is the full filibuster treatment: the whole Mr. Smith Goes to Washington kit and caboodle treatment.

I want parliamentary procedures, Senate rules, and Robert's Rules of order, each and every one of them, invoked. I want hours, no, days, of good, old fashioned, mind-boggling, alternately sleep-inducing and brain-jolting, stomach-turning, nonsensical, illogical, emotion-laden political rhetoric. I want the democrats to yammer on for days at a stretch. I want senators grabbing at straws, or better yet, at crumpled papers strewn on the floor, à la Jimmy Stewart. I want suits crumpled and neckties undone. I want Hillary and Nancy sweaty and disheveled, Botox ineffective, chipped manicured fists banging on the podium, explaining why this woman and this woman are not qualified to hold the positions they're nominated for. I want Ted Kennedy, hoarse and bloated at 3AM trying to hold the Senate floor -- or at least to not collapse on the floor.

Best yet, I want every delicious moment of it broadcast on CSpan, or on any cable channel, for all the world to see and savor.

I sigh in anticipation of all the hours of blogosphere coverage -- the round-ups, the video clips, the blogbursts, the fiskings. I'd have days' worth of blogging material thrown right at my lap.

I want my MTV filibuster!

Also posted at Blogger News Network, my blogging home-away-from-home.

Update Kathy, who's more eloquent than I, asks, when was the last time anyone actually filibustered a bill?
Update 2 Turns out there's a spelling-impared Phil A. Buster flash cartoon which strikes the wrong notes by managing to rip off The Simpsons and Schoolhouse Rock's I'm Just A Bill. Phil A. Buster's friends are Checks and Balanz -- the site wants your checks, so at least they could spell-check that one. A dud.
More update Dan's wondering if I'm stooping or staggering. I say, both.

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re update 2

I took a few moments to review the Phil A Buster flash commercial, and was struck by a major inaccuracy.

It starts off saying the filibuster was created by the founding fathers to combat the possible abuse of power by a political party. Correct me if I am wrong, but my memory tells me that there were no political parties at the time the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home