Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

On Terri Schiavo
I haven't posted on the case because there's a lot I don't understand about it. As Alice Chasen explains,
Terri Schiavo can’t speak for herself. Into the silence, we project our deepest anxieties about existence and significance. We all wrestle with the meaning of our lives, but we’re rarely called upon to quantify it or justify our existence before the court of public opinion. So Terri Schiavo becomes a surrogate for our self-evaluation on some cosmic scale. How would I weigh in if my life hung in the balance?
However, the fact that she is denied food and water even orally, by court order, has distressed me tremendously. Removing the feeding tube is painful. Lesbien C'est Moi expresses my feelings exactly,
I am not an extremist, but anyone would call me an ardent liberal, that is certain. Perhaps I am an anomaly, but I am devastated over what is about to happen here. To even be debating this is perverse. It is murder, nothing shy of that very accurate description. Murder. She will not die tomorrow, but she will be murdered tomorrow. By all estimates it will take her 7 - 10 days to actually die of starvation and dehydration. Terri is being executed by calculated, cruel and inhumane measure. We do not even execute condemned criminals with such unthinkable methods. And this woman's crime? Needing more love and care than the average human being. I am sick over this. Desperate almost. I sit writing this tonight with an utter punctured equilibrium over what will happen tomorrow and my inability to do anything about it.
George Felos, Michael Schiavo's attorney was on CNN last evening saying Ms Schiavo won't starve to death, she'd die from electrolyte imbalance. Electrolyte imbalance must be legalese for death by dehydration, a painful and awful death.

I didn't sleep well last night. This morning I found some consolation reading Dan Rhiel's post Angels, Too, Must Come in 3's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home