Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Cristo's Gates are the talk of the town
and I'd love to see them. Hopefully we'll get there as soon as the whole family is over their cold/flu.

I love Cristo's stuff. It's playful, it's not supposed to be an allegory/metaphor/whatever on the human condition yaddayaddayadda, and it's not payed with taxpayer dollars.

It reminds me of giftwrap, which is something I can't do to well, since the giftwrap gene skipped me and went to my sister. My sister can make a brown paper bag, some string and a cinnamon stick look like something in Martha Stewart Living, but when I do the same it looks like last night's leftovers, wrapped for the garbage. Cristo's siblings, if he has any, maybe feel the same way.

Cristo's art is really large scale, and it speaks to the possibilities of the human spirit to see what a guy with a whole lot of fabric and plenty of time on his hands can do. I do wish I'd had a chance to travel to Berlin and see the Reichstag bundled up and ready for shipping.

The Gates are Home Depot orange, which appeals to my inner HGTV addict. And, as Scott said,
The Christos (as I shall refer to them) are essentially offering us a gift at their expense, one which the public is free to either enjoy (directly, or by writing snarky articles about it) or ignore.
Now that I wrote my snarky article, I look forward to enjoying the Gates directly.

Update While on a frivolous vein, it looks like the Hillary Clinton action figure wasn't selling well, so the manufacturers decided to use the surplus outfits for the Condoleezza Rice action figure, pearls and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home