Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Jerry Orbach has died
of prostate cancer. Mr. Orbach was one of the great Broadway artists of our time:
On Broadway, the Bronx-born Orbach starred in hit musicals including "Carnival," "Promises, Promises" (for which he won a Tony Award), "Chicago" and "42nd Street." Earlier, he was in the original cast of the off-off-Broadway hit "The Fantasticks," playing the narrator. The show went on to run for more than 40 years

I first saw Mr. Orbach in the original Chicago, playing the slimy lawyer, where he stripped to the love song in the grand finale. I saw him also in the first stage version of 42d Street. Truly a great performer. People who only know him from Law & Order don't know what they missed.

The one time I saw Mr. Orbach not on stage was one morning a few years ago here in The Principality, when he was walking down Nassau Street. I recognized him immediately and I whistled a few bars of Razzle Dazzle 'Em as I walked past him. He was pleased, smiled, and whistled along.

Classy guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home