Fausta's blog

Faustam fortuna adiuvat
The official blog of Fausta's Blog Talk Radio show.

Friday, March 12, 2004

Fashion Advice/Fashion Experience:
Just this morning I found
this article
, and was comparing their advice with my experience.


1. "Shop seasonal sales." Oh yes. My experience in this field is such that my middle name is sales.
2. "Watch your fabrics: Stick to machine-washable materials". Indeed! Here in The Principality dry-cleaning fees are only matched by tax rates. I've been purchasing washable clothes since the days when I commuted to New York City from Morristown in the really dirty Erie-Lackawanna. Later on I became a mother, and there's nothing like an infant to lead you to the washables.
3. "Invest in wear-with-anything pieces". A must.
4. "Check out discount stores for basics". Until the arrival of Target to the vicinity of The Principality (The Principality would never allow anything so down-market as Target -- unless pronounced tar-JEH -- so Target's in another town, but with Principality address), I'd prefer to get things on sale at The Gap, since The Gap garments are well made and durable. Now I still prefer The Gap but might get a thing or two from Target if I'm there already. My experience with discount stores is that the stuff doesn't survive more than a month or two of serious laundering (see item#2 above).
5. "Bump up your accessories: Spend your money on beautiful shoes and a great bag." I hear ya! I bumped up my accessories so well it was time to buy some Coach stock, which I did. Luckily the stock has done well.
6. "Take inventory before you shop". Definitely.
7. "Find a great tailor". This one is a no-no for me. I'm 5'9"+ and my experience has been that if the garment doesn't quite fit, no tailor on Earth will be able to get it right. Pants that are too short are probably not going to fit well around the hip or waist, shirts with sleeves that are too short usually are too narrow around the shoulders while being too wide around the waist, and a dress that's too short-waisted is never going to look good. Then you have to bear in mind, that, if the tailor exists that can get the clothes altered correctly (and if you can find him/her) , that same tailor's going to charge Real Bucks. Not worth it.
8. "Look for store labels" Yes.
9. "Get a great haircut". I feel your pain. Will have to get hair long enough to recover from current bad haircut, though. (see yesterday's Blog entry).
10. "Stay away from 'outfits'." Separates are It.

Eight out of ten, not bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home